Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Circuit Bent Speak and Math

I was lucky enough to receive this Speak and Math from a customer at Borders. Somehow we went from me inquiring about a book on Latin he had to talking about circuit bending and him offering me a speak and math in one latte purchasing transaction. I have been working on it between projects and finally called it done this week.






The unit has 5 glitches, 2 loops, a pitch bend, a circuit killer, and one glitch that seems to be self-propelled. It seems to continue to produce randomness indefinitely.

Here is a video of it with some gloved person at the controls. I cut it up to avoid the boredom of watching someone fumbles with switches.




video




While this site has the bends on the speak and math mapped out somewhat (under schematics/circuitbending), the schematic in mine varied somewhat. Unfortunately, I waited until after I was done soldering everything together to take a picture of the circuit. Nevertheless, one should be able to decipher the connections.





Thanks to Tom the kind customer and professor of philosophy who donated the speak and math.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whats the difference between the two loops? Do they they go to two different switches?

seansaidplay said...

The two loops just sound a bit different. They do indeed go to two different switches.

Anonymous said...

Are you sure you labled them correctly? Cause I tried both of your looping marks and thier both glitches.

seansaidplay said...

I suppose one could say they are glitchy loops. They repeat but not cleanly. I would check it but it is a few hundred miles away.

Moof said...

Hey, I notice you have a 500k pot set up for bending pitch. Where did you solder the ground wire to? Or didn't you?
Thanks from 2012!